Monday, November 2, 2009

Exp 2 - Week 1

Aspects of a real site to measure:
-geometry
-materiality
-light
-sound
-interaction

List of methods of measuring Town Hall Station:
-Photos – Tile & brick dimensions
- Scale (by taking a photo with a person in it so you can compare height)
-Tape recorder – keep track of level and types of sound at certain times throughout the day in different areas of the station
-Video camera – Footage to show interaction of people through the station in different areas and different times of the day.
-Research – Searching on the internet for sources
-Documentation – Going to the City Council and Cityrail to see if they have any plans to work off
-Ultrasound – Used for accurate layout of geometry
-Laser tape measure/ tape measure – Measure distances for layout
-Observation – can be used to measure all aspects of the site


After looking through the list and looking at the effectiveness and accessibility of all the methods we came up with, I narrowed my list down to a combination of a few of these methods. I crossed off using an ultrasound to create an accurate layout of the geometry of Town Hall station because I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get my hands on one. Similarly, laser tape measure was cut off the list for the same reason while a normal tape measure would be too difficult to use around a busy station with lots of people constantly moving through it all through the day. I also cut a tape recorder & video camera from the list because I wasn’t too sure if the general public would want to be recorded. This leaves taking photos, research, documentation and observation as the methods I’ll be using to measure Town Hall Station.

No comments: